As a supplier of ornamental shrubs, we feel very strongly about the environment. Because we propagate 85% of our plants ourselves by means of grafting, cuttings, dividing and sowing, we can guarantee healthy and consistent stock. In addition, with the use of compost tea and mycorrhiza, the use of crop protection products has been substantially reduced in recent years. This means that stronger plants are grown, which are much less susceptible to diseases.
Our own stock
We propagate 85% of our plants ourselves by means of grafting, cuttings, dividing and sowing. This means that healthy and consistent stock is guaranteed. There is a large collection of mother plants present at the company, kept in a separately located mother corner. Cuttings and grafts are taken from these plants.
The mother corner
Compost tea (to put it simply) is a watery extract of high-quality compost that contains a high biodiversity of useful microorganisms. With the use of crop protection products, negative but also many positive organisms are killed. However, the positive organisms are needed for good, healthy and resistant plant growth, but through the use of crop protection products, the living environment of the crop gets out of balance. By spraying with compost tea, the balance of the plants is restored and optimised. This means that the plants are much less susceptible to diseases.
The advantages are:
- Restoration of micro life on the crop and in the soil
- Promotion of the growth of the crop
- Stimulation of root development
- Better absorption of nutrients by the plant
- Increase in the natural resistance of soil and crop
- Promotion of crop digestion after the harvest and breakdown of the residue
- Making nutrients available
- Improvement in structure because of microorganisms.
The spraying of compost tea over the crop makes the plants stronger.
Mycorrhizae are useful fungi that are added to the potting compost. They grow with the roots and promote the growth and resistance of the plant. Through the fine strands of fungi, the plants better absorb nutrients and trace elements, which means that they are less susceptible to diseases of the roots. The mycorrhiza fungi stimulate the root growth and the branching of the plant. This reduces the loss and increases the uniformity of the crop. In order to optimise the use of mycorrhiza in our cultivation, since 2010 we have been supported by Servaplant, a company with specific knowledge and experience in the area of research and application of mycorrhiza.
The advantages are:
- Environmentally friendly cultivation of a good quality product
- Good development of the root system and a compact clod
- A richly branching plant with stronger foliage
- A plant that is more resistant to drought and diseases
- A plant that develops better after being potted up or planted out.
Root growth without (left) and with (right) the use of mycorrhiza.
Download the folder of Servaplant here.